The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, Book 1)

The Darkest Night - Gena Showalter "Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later. That was his greatest curse and his eternal punishment."This book is a great intro into the Lords of the Underworld series and I admit, I am completely hooked!! I will not stop until I read them all!!!Before I tell you about the story, you have to know a few facts about the Lords (all of these facts will be explained in the first 10 pages of the book so I won't be giving any spoilers)This is based on Greek mythology and Pandora's box is what triggered the events that led the Lords to this situation.For punishment, each one of them holds a different demon inside them, and they can't be separated from the demon because that would mean death to the host.That's the most basic that you need to know, for more just read the book :))Anyway, the story...Maddox leaves the castle looking for their enemies, the Hunters, and he comes upon a woman who is not behaving very sane LOL, she begs him to take her with him, and he complies :) Ashlyn is looking for a cure to her special ability and thinks the strange men who are famous in legends could help her.She doesn't know everyone would see her as the enemy's Bait, and that leads to some very tricky situations :))And so the question remains, will Maddox be able to kill her when the others order it, if it is confirmed she is Bait, of will their love transcend everything and (omg I am puking now I just can't write the sweet stuff), well you know what I mean :))) And you probably know the answer to it too :))))She has a special ability that's she's trying to get rid of, and the Lords are her only option.She didn't plan to be held captive in their castle and accused of being Bait, but oh well life is like that :))The only thing that helps is having Maddox around, because he is the only one she trusts, and it doesn't take long to figure out they have some crazy chemistry between them :)-------------------------------Ashlyn was a good character, didn't love her but didn't hate her wither, she was just OK to me :)BUT I did love what she did in the end, that was amazing :)))))Possessed by the demon of Violence, Maddox has a short fuse on his temper, plus the gods cursed him with an additional curse which is pretty terrible so yeah, poor Maddox is having a tough time through all these thousands of years of punishment.With Ashlyn, it's the first time man and demon actually agree on something, and he doesn't want to let her go :)-------------------------------He is uber protective of her and I loved that about him :))The additional curse is just terrible and I felt bad for him, I mean really, the gods are just too cruel.Anyway, he was a pretty good character :)))))He wasn't quite sure what he wanted to do with her. He knew what he should do—and what he couldn't. Both mattered little just then. Because, more than anything, he knew that he didn't want to share.-------------------------------"Take off your clothes." His voice was huskier than he'd intended.She blinked up at him, her lashes casting shadows over her cheeks. "Wh-what?""Take off your clothes.""Right now?" she squeaked.His brow furrowed. "Do you normally shower with them on?""No, but I normally shower alone.""Not today."-------------------------------"I don't even know what to say." Aeron."I do. Fuck." Paris.Well I liked this one, I really did, this is actually 3,5 stars but I rounded to 3 because the writing isn't really polished enough (well that's just my lousy opinion but I can't help it), anyway, some of their lines were too bombastic and dramatic, maybe if it was toned down a bit.And my main reason for 3 stars is that I just didn't buy the insta-love here. Yes I know it's a PNR and in that universe insta-love is something perfectly natural, but yeah I don't think someone would fall in love with a man who possessed a demon inside him after only one day. I would be just a tad bit scared or I don't know. Something. If it was at least the second day or something. But the first? Dunno.BUT!Like I said, this is a great intro to the series, we get to meet all the other characters and the author did an amazing job of hooking the reader to each one of them, and honestly, I was reading the first book but all I kept thinking was: "OMG! I have to read the other books ASAP! OMG! This one is so interesting!! And this one too! I bet this guy's book will be amazing because of his demon!" and so on, anyway, lots of OMGs and squeeings and those sort of things :DSo kudos to the author for writing a book I didn't really love, but that made me want to read all the other books from the series :))I am so glad I started it :)))I definitely recommend this to all PNR fans!!!